Search This Blog

Thursday 14 April 2011

I'd Like To Be The First Man On The Moon!

    Well if there are any in-jokes within the series of the Prisoner, then this surely has to be one of them, I'd like to be the first man on the Moon No.6 told No.2. Well funnily enough Patrick McGoohan had not played the first man on the Moon, but in a BBC television play in 1959 The Greatest Man In The World, he played a cosmonaut who was the first man in space.
    But there must be another reason for this remark spoken by No.6. Possibly the meaning is one of sarcasm. The fact that No.6 would like to be the first man on the Moon, is about as likely to happen, as No.2's dream of the whole Earth as the Village!
BCNU

2 comments:

  1. He played a cosmonaut in one play in 1961. However that guy was the first man in space. A couple of weeks later Gagarin made life imitate art. In the 1959 play his character was an American but that play was more allegory than sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Moor Larkin,
    Quite right, thanks for correcting me. I got the wrong play, wrong year...I should have checked! Just goes to show that I don't know McGoohan's early work that well. Mind you I'm not really a fan of Patrick McGoohan, although I do enjoy watching the BBC play 'This Day In Fear.'
    Regards
    David
    BCNU

    ReplyDelete