Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 March 2012

The Therapy Zone

Schizoid: The Word 'Schizoid' is said to have originated in 1925, meaning a tendency or resembling a condition of schizophrienia.... mental condition, first diagnosed in 1912.
   Well that doesn't read much like the schizoid man in The Prisoner, does it? Because 'Schizoid' is a mental condition, and although that's what is suggested in the episode, No.6 is actually physically confronted by his doppleganger!
                                                               *
Dennis Chinnery played the role of Gunther, one of the two gunrunners in the episode of Many Happy Returns. This is what he had to say regarding some "personal pain" during filming of a particular scene.
    "There was one sequence where Pat had to set fire to something. I had to come into the galley, as Gunther, and he caught me around the neck, and the idea was to strangle me and pull me along the corridor and put me in one of the cabins, which he did. On the first take the strength round my neck was so great that I thought "I'm going to pass out!". He's got so much energy and so much strength and he's thrown himself into the part so much, and he's got so much to do that I thought "I'm going! I'm going". Anyway I was Ok, but I thought I'm going to have to mention this to him, and I was very nervous and very worried about saying it to someone I didn't really know - I admired, but didn't really know to that degree, but I must because I knew he was going for a second take, and I thought it's going to happen again. Anyway I did pluck up enough courage and mentioned this to him, and he was so nice, and he said "I'm sorry about that. It's very unprofessional of me to do that. I should pull back on stunts like that. We shall go for the second take right now. And don't worry I'm sorry." And we went for the second take and it was fine. Perfect. So I've never forgotten how marvellous and professional he was."
                                                                    *
    It should be noted that the Penny Farthing upon the badge first worn by No.6, if only for a few seconds in Arrival, points towards the Prisoner's left. This is in contrast to the only other No.6 badge seen in the series, which is worn by Curtis in The Schizoid Man which has the Penny Farthing facing to the right.
    The Penny Farthing logo for The Village has always been the focus for questions and debate. Patrick McGoohan said that it represented progress but in an ironic way; that nothing ever changes and despite the technology of The Village, the basic evil intent behind those in power remains the same and open to abuse. This hypothesis seems a little elaborate for a mid-evening television series and perhaps the emblem was thought to be just one mystery which would challenge viewers. Certainly, it would have been just as easy for characters in the series to have plain badges with just numbers on them, rather than needing to have the numeral set inside the penny wheel of an old-fashioned bicycle. However, there was obviously a great deal of thought given to the matter and numerous differing penny farthing styles appear in the series.

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment