Search This Blog

Monday 22 August 2016

A Favourite Scene In The Prisoner


    Down on the beach in ‘Checkmate’ when Number 2 approaches the Rook.
    “Hello. How are you today?”
    “Much better, thanks.”
    “Good, all symptoms of the frustration complex disappeared?”
    “Completely.”
    “Splendid. Watch you don’t over do it, and keep taking those pills.”
    “I will.”
    “And remember if you get another attack of egotism don’t wait, go back to the hospital immediately.”
    “I don’t like to bother people.”
    “No bother….enjoy yourself.”
    “Thank you.”
   I don’t know what it is, it’s the way Number 2 says “Hello.” It’s almost as if, oh I don’t know, I just find it humorous. It’s like when Number 2 says “Keep taking those pills,” you might say I’ve got a pain in my arm when I lift it. The doctor might say well don’t do it then, or simply “Keep taking the pills!” Anyway, what’s Number 2 doing on the beach? We’ve never seen Number 2 down on the beach before! I know he’s a top administrator, but surely he’s not got enough spare time to be able to enjoy a stroll along the beach. But then he gives me the impression of lurking about on the beach. Well he never knows who he might bump into. And that chap behind him, the man with the canopied bicycle, he’s having problems riding it on the sand. He half rides, half pushes it. As for Number 2, well he’s hardly dressed for the beach, and I know it’s a sunny day, but wearing those sunglasses makes him look rather sinister, menacing even! But it’s nice that the good citizens of The Village are allowed to relax and enjoy themselves on the beach, sunbathing, playing beach ball, or simply padding in the water. And the striped bathing tents, they smack of the late 19th into the early 20th century. A past time, after when bathing tents were all the rage at British seaside holiday resorts.

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment