Search This Blog

Sunday 15 November 2020

More Tales From The Village

     A public announcement “Good morning, good morning, congratulations on yet another day.”
   
“What did they mean by that announcement do you think?” No.14 asked
   
“Who can say, they are always making announcements about something or other”No.32 replied “Humour is the very essence of a democratic society, that’s another one.”

   
“Democratic?”
   
“In some ways, we used to have local elections, but they don’t bother anymore.”

   
“Why not?”
   
“Beats me! The last election we had I didn’t bother to vote.”
    “Why ever not?”

   
“Didn’t like the new candidate, who’s standing beside you now? I intend to discover then, who the prisoners and who the warders. He even started to sound like Number 2 at one point, the citizens can rest assured that their interests are very much my own, and that the security of the citizens is my primary objective!”
   
“Why didn’t you vote for Number 2 then?”

   
“What the old regime forever, and the old Number 2 forever, what’s it matter who is Number 2, one Number 2 or forty different Number 2’s it don’t make no difference, they’re all the same in the end.”
   
“You sound bitter.”

   
“I tell you my friend; I have met no-one here who has committed a crime. Me, I look forward to my nightcap of hot chocolate and the oblivion of sleep that it brings!”
   
“Is that all you have to look forward to here?”

   
“There’s a saying they have here, questions are a burden to others.”
   
“Only when we don’t know the answers.”

   
“And answers a prison for oneself.”
   
“What, meaning it’s better not to know the answers?”

   
“Meaning it’s probably best not to know the questions. Do you know what?”
   
“No what?”

   
“I fancy an ice cream.”
   
“Flavour of the day is strawberry.”

   
“How do you know that?”
   
“I heard an earlier announcement. I tell you what; I’m going to gum up the works!”

   
“How are you going to do that?”
   
“I’m going to ask for a vanilla 99 cornet with flake!”

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment