Search This Blog

Saturday 29 September 2018

The Prisoner

    I know you, surely.
    I don’t think so.
    Drake isn’t it?
    No, Blake.
    Close enough. You disappeared, what are you doing in a place like this?
    The Village?
    Yes.
    Possibly the same as you, only I’ll probably last longer than you, being a field agent.
    I’m told everyone talks on the third day.
    How did they get you, a man with your reputation?
    The same as they got you.
    I doubt it. I was in a Turkish brothel, her name was Karla, she came from
Hull!
    I was at home, I’d just written my letter of resignation.
    You were chucking it in?
    There’s a limit you know. Next thing I know I’m here!
    Number Two wants to know all about me.
    She knows already, she’s a tough madam!
    Why do you say she? Number Two is a man.
    She could be a man, she looks like a man, even has a moustache!
    No, Number Two is most definitely a man.
    They are playing a new game!
    New game?
    You’re one of them!
    Me, what about you?
    I was here first, then they brought you in, roughed you up a bit, then tossed you in here in order to get me to talk with someone I once knew!
    I could say the same of you!
    Look, we don’t trust each other, so I suggest you stay on your half of the dungeon, and I’ll stay here, okay?
    It’s not going to work Number Two.
    I can see that for myself!
    Put Number Eight in with them.
    A damsel in distress, she’ll come under the protective wing of one of them, and the other will feel alienated.
    Rough her up a bit, ripped clothes, that sort of thing.
    Anyway it’s time for me to go.
    Go, go where?
    Home, my term in office is over, that’s why you are here, to take my place.
    I can’t possibly allow you to leave, you know too much.
    No, that’s not how it works.
    I am the new Number Two and its works the way I want it to work.
    You can’t keep me here.
    No? We’ll see about that Number Two f.
    Two f?
    Yes, there’s a spare place on the town council, you have just been co-opted onto it.
    You can’t do this to me.
    It’s not I that’s done it, its Number 1, and top of the pops this week it’s Angelique.
    Angelique, that’s his favourite song!
    Don’t worry, we’ll be bringing him to The Village before too long!


Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment