Search This Blog

Sunday 23 September 2018

Quote For The Day

    “Sir Charles at last, I am ZM Seventy-three.”
    “You claim to be ZM Seventy-three.”
    “And I can prove it.”
    “Do so.”
    “I could pitch this on a very personal level Sir Charles.”
    “Don’t spare my feelings, speak as freely as you wish.”
    “Very well……I will confine myself to simple domestic details of no interest to anyone except the family. Details incidentally which couldn’t possibly be known by anyone except ourselves, would you accept that?”
    “Yes I suppose so.”
    “You are a keen Rosearian, and it was when you were pruning your Baccara’s those ones down by the little goldfish pool when I asked for your permission to marry your daughter. Ha, I remember you dropped your secateurs I never understood why, because it couldn’t have been that much of a surprise to you. The next day you took me to lunch at your club, out favourite dish jugged hare was on the menu.”
    “I don’t dispute the accuracy of your statement, it is correct in every detail. Trouble is you see, there’s nothing you can tell me which may not have been told you by the person you claim to be, under sedation or hypnosis. We’re all aware of truth drugs and other ingenious means of extracting information. It could all have been recorded and you could have learned it parrot fashion.”
    “Ask me the minutest details you know that we did together.”
    “The same problem applies.”
    “I could never convince you then.”
            {ZM73 and Sir Charles – Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling}
    There is a parallel between ‘The Schizoid Man’ and ‘Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling,’ in that Number 6 has problems proving his identity in both episodes! In one he’s not quite himself, and in the other he appears to be someone else entirely! Number 6 seems to have a problem when it comes to his identity. And yet he proved it well enough to Janet Portland during a tender love scene, and come to think of it, the original script for ‘The Schizoid Man’ had Number 6 proving to Alison who he was by kissing her. That makes two parallels! Of course Pat McGoohan wouldn’t have anything to do with a kissing scene, so it was written out and the mind reading scene was written in instead. And of course there was no such problem in ‘Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling’ as it was Nigel Stock playing ZM73 in the romantic role. Much to the disappointment of Zena Walker I might add!


Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment