Search This Blog

Sunday 17 June 2018

The Prisoner

    It’s strange sir.
    What’s strange Twenty-Two?
    That since his arrival here, he has not spoken one word, not one syllable has passed his lips, no protests, nothing.
    He’s passive enough.
    Too passive, it’s not natural.
    Perhaps he has nothing to say for himself!
    Makes you wonder why he was sent here in the first place.
    It doesn’t make me wonder, when you’ve been here as long as I have, you’ll learn it’s not always advantageous to ask questions.
    You’ve only been here a week!
    A week’s a long time in The Village. So my little friend, what have you got to tell us?
    .........................................
    Playing dumb won’t help you in the long run. Tell us what we want to know......well let’s begin with your name, that’s an easy one.
    .........................................
    The time of your birth?
    .........................................
    Can he talk Number Two?
    What do you mean?
    Physically, can he talk?
    I don’t know, why don’t you ask him?
    Listen little man, can you talk?....... He just sits there looking at the floor, or up at the ceiling!
    According to his file he was Lord Idlemere’s butler.
    Who is Lord Idlemere when he’s at home?
    No idea, but it has given me an idea............. So there you are my little friend, you are now my butler. I think I would like some tea.
    The little man in black tails bowed and left the chamber.
    You see Number Twenty-two, he makes the perfect servant, servile, serving unquestioningly.
     I don’t like the way he wears those black gloves, he never takes them off, it makes me shudder.
    Why’s that then?
    I’ve been reading up about Lord Idlemere.
    Why, what happened to him?
    Our little friend here strangled him to death with those gloved hands!


Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment