Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 March 2017

A B And C And Free For All

   Last night my wife and I watched the two episodes of ‘A B And C’ and ‘Free For All’ on ‘True Entertainment’ and the longer I watched the easier I found it to ignore the fact that the picture aspect had been altered to 16:9. In fact it is only apparent in long shots, such as the long, now extra wide runway at the start of the opening sequence, and the squatness of the Lotus Seven. And I found myself forgiving ‘the Prisoner’ for that, it no longer mattered to me as it had with ‘Arrival.’ I like the fact that in long shot, the changed aspect of the film has increased the largeness of No.2’s domed office, and the people in it smaller, making the domed chamber vaster.

   “Extraordinary, how very single-minded.”
    “He’s not conventional.
    “I sometimes think he’s not human!”
    “It’s an anguish pattern”
    My wife pointed out that the problem is that No.2 and No.14 are watching this from the wrong perspective. It’s not a dream they are watching, it’s a memory. In the three dreams of ‘A B And C’ No.6 can see himself in them. However here they should be watching the Prisoner hand in his letter of resignation through his eyes. They should see the long corridor with the doors getting closer, then bursting open and seeing the man sat behind the desk in the office.
Not seeing himself marching down the corridor towards the doors as we do, marching into the office, shouting his mouth of, stomping up and down, slamming down his letter on the desk and sealing the action with his fist before storming out!

Be seeing you

6 comments:

  1. A good observation! The notion has long since occurred to me that not infrequently there's a confusion of I'd call the look and the picture. E.G. No. 2 watching No. 6 on the screen while it is clearly presented as a staged scene. Unfortunately, I never did any further research on the subject, the time necessary to track down the scene and so on. And there might be a book on the subject, unless I'm mistaken. But I don't remember who and what exactly. Perhaps Tim Palgut? - BCNU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Arno,
      Yes it is a good observation made by my wife, I hadn't thought of it before, and it appears neither did anyone on the production team of 'the Prisoner,' and that includes Patrick McGoohan!
      I myself do not recall reading anything on the subject in any book about 'the Prisoner.' Perhaps I missed it somewhere, I'll have to revisit the books. Even 'Number Six' and 'In the Village' magazines, when I get time, as there woud be a great deal of material to go through.

      Best regards
      BCNU
      David

      Delete
  2. Tim Palgut's book has recently been updated and republished

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/0992905427

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous,
      Yes I'm aware of that. I recall purchasing 'The Prisoner: The Village files' in 2002 I think it was. Its sits on the shelf and I do refer from it on occasion for reference.Do you know how Tim's updated version of the book differs from the original?

      Regards
      BCNU
      David

      Delete
  3. The updated version is printed on silk paper, which has a more quality feel to it than the coarser original. The cover seems heavier, so the whole thing feels more like an actual technical manual. The photographs all appear to be different and, doubtless because of the way printing has improved over 15 years, are much sharper and impressive. Having a photo of the Green Dome on the front cover makes more sense than the original's Number 6. While there is still a section on our favourite Prisoner, the project is imagined as a Village publication and so the Green Dome cover fits so much better. Again probably due to the cost-effectiveness of printing today, it is pleasantly less expensive than the original but comes across as a more expensive looking product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous,
      Thank you for the description of Project: Prisoner The Village Files, very much appreciated. I'm sure readers of my blog will appreciate it as well.
      I wish Tim Palgut every success with his book.

      Best regards
      Be seeing you
      David

      Delete