Search This Blog

Friday 1 December 2017

Citizen No.6?

    There are a number of things within ‘the Prisoner’ I have never been able to explain to myself. One is why did Number 6 bother to write that I.O.U on the counter of the General Store, another is why he bothered to put his number to it?! Yes he added the question mark still questioning his number I suppose.
    He never expected to come back to The Village, or did he? Well certainly not as a citizen, nor to honour that I.O.U. But did Number 6 have it in mind, even at the moment he was about to cast off and escape the confines of The Village, to eventually return and wipe it off the face of the Earth? As he had threatened to do during ‘The Chimes of Big Ben.’
    “I’m going to escape and come back.”
    “Come back?”
    “Escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the earth. Obliterate it, and you {meaning Number 2} with it!”
    Well in time he managed to carry out two thirds of that threat!
    Then again perhaps Number 6 left the I.O.U because he didn’t want to appear to be a thief after taking the items he had from the General Store. But then again he didn’t itemize the things he had taken. And yet curiously he must have taken note of the cost of the items in order to leave that precise I.O.U in the first place!


Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment