Search This Blog

Sunday 16 September 2012

Two Men - One Face

    Based on Daphne du Maurier’s classic novel, The Scapegoat tells the story of John, an honest, decent man who bumps into his perfect double, a duplicitous French aristocrat. After a night drinking John wakes to find himself in the other man’s home and becomes drawn into a new life, with fatal consequences.
  
   It's not technically 'Prisoner,' yet when I watched this very fine and exceptional television drama, I could not hep but see certain Prisoneresque undertones, especially when Johnny rids himself of his doppelganger.

  I did enjoy this television drama for it's own sake, and I'm sure Daphne du Maurier would be appalled by my having compared her work to what is basically a television series. And I do not always look for anything that can be described as "Prisoneresque," but sometimes when it strikes you, the Prisoneresqueness cannot be denied. For me it has the feel of 'The Schizoid Man,' in the way Curtis impersonates Number 6.
    And there is that immortal line "You are as good at being me as I am!" And the way John rids himself of his doppelganger, well that's reminiscent of Number 6 ridding himself of Number 1!

I'll be seeing you

I'll be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment