Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Thought For The Day

   I was listening to Edgar Allan Poe's 'Pit And The Pendulum' read by Christopher Lee last evening, and suddenly my ears pricked up to the following piece of text taken from the story.

    "The figures of the judges vanished, as if magically, from before me; the tall candles sank into nothingness; their flames went out utterly; the blackness of darkness supervened."

   Does that brief passage put you in mind of anything? I have not read 'The Pit And The Pendulum' for many years, but when I heard this brief passage spoken, I was instantly reminded of a scene in 'A Change of Mind, when sat before the members of the Committee, suddenly the lights go out in the chamber, leaving Number 6 in total darkness. And when the lights come back on again, it is as though the members of the Committee had vanished, as if magically!

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment