Search This Blog

Saturday 6 January 2018

The Therapy Zone!

   The Village is a place where people turn up, individuals who have deep seated struggles within themselves. Identical twins, doppelgangers. Number 2 had trouble enough with Number 6, but now his troubles have just doubled here in The Therapy Zone, as everyone has a double!
    I don’t know what you think you’re doing here.
    I’ve as much right to be here as you!
    Really?
    I don’t know why you’re looking so smug with yourself.
    This is my cottage, and possession is nine tenths of the law, isn’t that what they say?
    I was here first, you came through the door just a few moments ago.
    Yes, but I live here. I don’t know where you live, but why don’t you go back there?
    They’ve done a half decent job with you. If I wasn’t me I’d think you were.
    I don’t know where they found you, but at least they should have got you to wear the right coloured blazer!
    I’m wearing the right coloured jacket, you shouldn’t be wearing that badge!
    Why not?
    Number Six never wears his badge!
    You honestly think you’re me.
    I know I am, it’s you who thinks he’s me!
    I’m your worst enemy.
    How do you make that out?
    Because I’m what you see every morning when you look in the mirror, it’s as close as you can get to coming face to face with yourself. But now I’m flesh and bone, I’m suddenly real to you, and that’s why you deny me.
    You, you’re my other self?
    Deny me at your peril, you’re the reason I’m here.
    You mean I’m the reason you’re here. If it wasn’t for me.......
    Look, I want what you want.
    And what’s that?
    To escape.
    We could change places.
    How will that help?
    Well I’d be you, and you would be me.
    That’s no good.
    Why?
    We’re wearing different coloured jackets!
    Hadn’t thought of that one.
    We could exchange jackets.
    Then I would be you.......
    And I would be you.
    Where does that get us?
    Me standing here in my cottage, the law being possession is nine tenths of that law!
    Now why don’t you get out of my cottage, and take yourself off to wherever Number Two found you!
    Oh don’t you worry, I’ll be seeing Number Two alright. Just you wait till I’ve told him what you’ve done!
    You think he’ll believe you?
    Why shouldn’t he?
    Because I’m wearing the right jacket and you’re not!
    Give me that jacket.
    Not on your life! I’ll be leaving this place soon, and you’ll rot here living life as me!
    You think you can escape yourself as easily as that?
    Myself, what are you talking about?
    I’m you, and you are me, together we are one, Number One.
    You’re mad, you don’t know what you’re saying.
    I’ll leave you know, think about it. I’ll be seeing you.
    Not if I see you first you won’t.
    You won’t be able to avoid it. Every time you look in the mirror I’ll be there looking straight back at you!
    How do you exist?
    I might ask the same of you.
    It’s going to be interesting watching you get back inside that mirror!
    Who said that was going to be me?

    The next morning as Number 6 entered the bathroom he was feeling quite smug with himself. He rubbed his chin, felt the stubble, looked into the mirror and winked, his reflection merely scowled back at him.

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment