Search This Blog

Thursday 26 March 2015

The Prisoner

    What does it mean? It means what it is as Number 6 was once heard to say. He was of course speaking about a piece of abstract art which he had sculptured together, three pieces in all. One of the award judges said they didn’t know what it meant, and of course Number 6 said it means what it is, and Number 2 thought that was marvellous, which of course it is. But did that piece of abstract art mean the interpretation Number 6 placed upon it. Number 6 is a very clever man, well no he isn’t really because Number 6 is but a character in a television series. It’s Patrick McGoohan who was the clever man, and it was he who was putting the words of the scriptwriter Vincent Tilsley into Number 6’s mouth.
    To my mind Number 6 was talking off the cuff so to speak, making it up about the piece of abstract art as he went along, and made it sound very plausible. ’The Prisoner’ is rather like a piece of abstract art, it can mean so many different things to so many different people who look at the series in so many different ways. Just because the Number 6 as the artist says a piece of abstract art means such and such, doesn’t make him right. And the same goes with ‘the Prisoner.’ I was once asked if I could have met and asked Patrick McGoohan one question, what would it be? I said at the time that I had no desire to meet the man, not did I have a question to ask him. Now I wonder if like the meaning of Number 6’s abstract art, was McGoohan, at the time, simply making it up as he went along? But then Patrick McGoohan didn’t create the series all on his own, he had help from scriptwriters, the Script editor George Markstein, and the director and writer David Tombiln. And there are one or two points I would argue with him against. There are also some points I would have put to him which he may not have even considered. But that’s all much too late now, so no point on dwelling on that.
    I sometimes wonder, when I write my articles on ‘the Prisoner’ that at times I go too deep with my interpretations, in getting carried away. I once wrote an article for Number Six magazine, saying that at times people over complicate ‘the Prisoner,’ and that there are times when a simple answer will do. I also wonder why it is I am dissatisfied with ‘the Prisoner?’ I must be dissatisfied, otherwise I would say enough, I’ve all the answers to my own satisfaction about ‘the Prisoner,’ there’s nothing left. It’s been 48 years, enough should be enough. And yet it isn’t, it’s impossible to leave the piece of abstract art alone. It must be defined, and each time I try, I find there’s another angle to come at it. And I’m not the only one, many of my contemporaries have found it to be so. Even Number 2 of “Chimes” had trouble with the Prisoner, he had to take it all back to the beginning, so he made in his report. “File Number Six section forty-two, subsection one, paragraph one, back to the beginning.” It reads as though ‘the Prisoner’ has been re-set, back to the beginning. Because Number 2 is no further forward with Number 6 at the end than he is at the beginning!
 

Be seeing you

4 comments:

  1. "It means what it is." In a way the, no: one answer lies exactly here in front of our eyes. The Prisoner as a MEANS, considered perhaps as a tool for further exploration of - what? Society, the nature of man, the world... It can be one but not everyone will be able to recognise it as such or make use of it. Far-fetched? I may be wrong but still it's one possible explanantion. - BCNU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Arno,
      Yes that's certainly one possibiltiy, and very well put. It means what we consider it to mean, what we witness with our eyes as eyes, like cameras, cannot lie. And then on the other hand, when Number 6 used that phrase "It means what it is," he went on to explain his abstract sculpture. I've always thought that very clever of Number 6, to be so quick witted to make something up on the spur of the moment. Well that's how its always appeared to me, because there was no way he could have known that he would have to explain his sculpture. In other ways he was making it up as he went along, and the same could apply to 'the Prisoner.' that in our explanations we make it up as we go aong, I know I sometimes do imaginatively speaking!

      Very best regards
      David
      BCNU

      Delete
  2. Hello David, hello Arno,
    I like this, the Prisoner as a means.. Sometimes I feel that the Prisoner really is a question, or rather a bunch of questions, and that this might be why it includes no answers or too many of them. At the same time. There's one thing that's sure, if you think you have found an answer there will always be another one along the way, you just have to take a step and change the point of view. So yes, I thoroughly agree, in a way it is made up as we walk along. I think the Prisoner really means what it is, and it is inescapable and impossible to catch.

    Best regards,
    Jana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jana,
      Certainly 'the Prisoner' is a bunch of questions of which there are several which may never be answered, and will remain a complete mystery. While other questions as easily answered. But as you say, and I agree with you, that you think you have answered one question, then you suddenly find another answer to that question, and you have to re-evaluate your original answer. I've found myself re-evaluating why The Village had its cemetary on the beach. The reason for my evaluation of this came because of what I saw in an episode of a BBC television series I was watching last night.
      Sometimes 'the Prisoner' can lead one right up the garden path!

      Best regards
      David
      BCNU

      Delete