Search This Blog

Monday 7 December 2015

Pit And The Pendulum

   I was listening to Edgar Allan Poe's 'Pit And The Pendulum' read by Christopher Lee a while ago, suddenly my ears pricked up to the following piece of text taken from the story.
    "The figures of the judges vanished, as if magically, from before me; the tall candles sank into nothingness; their flames went out utterly; the blackness of darkness supervened."
   Does that brief passage put you in mind of anything? I have not read 'The Pit And The Pendulum' for many years, but when I heard this brief passage spoken, I was instantly reminded of a scene in 'A Change of Mind, when sat before the members of the Committee, suddenly the lights go out in the chamber, leaving Number 6 in total darkness. And when the lights come back on again, it is as though the members of the Committee had vanished, as if magically!


Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment