Search This Blog

Friday, 27 May 2016

Quote For The Day

    “You’ll make yourself sick sir!”
  {Doris the barmaid at the Thatched Barn - The Girl Who Was Death}

    And she was right, having drunk a cocktail of drinks, imagining Mister X with his head in the toilet is not a pretty picture to conjure up! I’ve never been able to make my mind up whether Mister X’s pint of beer had actually been laced with poison or not. If it had been, then the barmaid Doris, is guilty of attempted murder. A poisoner no less! Of course the Girl had obviously put Doris up to it, and she must have agreed to use that beer glass with the words YOU HAVE JUST BEEN POISONED, etched on the bottom of it when Mister X asked for a pint of his usual. Perhaps the Girl told her that it was a joke between friends. But somehow I don’t think poison was ever used, I cannot really see Doris actually putting poison into a customers drink. The message etched on the bottom of the glass would be enough to achieve the same result, as we witnessed.
   I recall how I had purchased a number of “You have just been poisoned” stickers from the Prisoner shop in Portmeirion in 1988. I gave one to the Landlord of my local public house, and asked him to stick it on the bottom of a pint glass. He didn’t mind, and having stuck said sticker on the bottom of a straight beer glass, placed it on the shelf with all the other glasses. As it happened my Uncle Stan was given that glass, purely at random, but the result was hilarious as I remember. In fact I didn’t think it would work as well as it did. He didn’t automatically demand a cocktail of drinks to make himself sick or anything. But he was confused, wanting to know what the hell was going on!

Be seeing you

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I just had a wonderful laugh about your story of the "You've Just Been Poisoned" sticker on the bottom of the beer glass!!!
    You should have written that story to Patrick McGoohan, an maybe he would have answered your fan letter!
    I can just imagine your uncle's reaction...priceless!

    BCNU
    Karen

    ReplyDelete