Search This Blog

Saturday 25 October 2014

Quote For The Day

    "I am not a number, I am a free man.”
                                {the Prisoner}          
   What? Is that like being given the freedom of The Village? I mean that's what being a free man is. When a man has done really good for a city, or town where he lives. The people honour such a man by giving making him a free man of the city or town. And doesn’t the Prisoner run along the beach shouting “I am not a number, I am a free man” punching the air in high delight. As for “I am not a number,” could mean that he’s no longer one of the numbers, the ordinary people, that being a free man now sets him part from the hoi polloi.
   Of course not everyone will agree with this, and after all it is merely another way of interpreting the scene which takes place during the opening sequence. Ridiculous some might say. But no more ridiculous as shouting in protest “I am not a number, I am a free man,” which of course he is, and isn’t. He is a number whether he likes it or not. And he is no longer a free man, because he is a prisoner despite any amount of protestations he may care to make to the contrary.

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment