Search This Blog

Friday 17 February 2012

Thought For The Day

In An Emergency We Walk!

   I'm not bloody surprised! "In an emergency we walk," as the electrician tells the Prisoner in Arrival. They're a bit slow, and the best thing that can be said about those garden tractors is, that they get you there in the end! How the Butler, in Once Upon A Time, caught No.6 speeding on one of those tractors beats me!
   And have you ever tried to go from 'A' to 'B' by taxi? Its a bloody nightmare, and I can tell you from experience. "Where to sir?" the taxi driver asks, and once you're aboard they take you all around the houses, just to take you where you want to go, when it would have been easier and quicker to walk. I mean to say, the village is only a small hamlet, a journey by taxi should take no time at all. And yes, it bloody well is quicker to simply walk from A to B! Waste of time those taxis. One day the driver asked me where I wanted to go, and I replied "Take me as far as you can." The driver said "Oh we're only the local service." and dropped me off from where the journey began. I mean what was the point in that? However having said that, they do provide an excellent ambulance service for the village, and they look nice.
   Before the advance of the Austin Mini-Moke, I suppose there had been the American Jeep for village transport. Bloody unconfortable they were, and arrived in an Army green colour. But were soon adapted by having the Jeeps painted white, the grey canopies stripped away, and replaced with the familiar candy-striped canopy. Plus a Penny Farthing bicycle emblem hand painted on the bonnet. And before the Jeep, I'm reliably informed by elder citizens who can remember, that they used horse drawn Hansom cabs! Picture those in the village if you will.  Well the Village has been around for a very long time, since the war, before the war, but which war?

Be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment