Search This Blog

Monday 6 February 2012

Prisoner Appreciation

   Doesn't entail simply watching episodes of The Prisoner then trying to put answers to the questions, to interpret and then sit here writing Prisoner Blog related articles you know, or perhaps you do know.
   I used to spend £'s and £'s on Prisoner merchandise and memorabilia. Not so much these days, unless something that I really want comes up on ebay from time to time. Plus I'm now very choosey as to what Prisoner merchandise I actually add to my vast collection. A big mistake was that book Fall Out written by Alan Stevens & Fiona Moore. I've had my copy of that book since August 2007, and there is sits on by bookshelf only half way read. What an awful book that is to try and read, and the size of the text doesn't help. But it's the actual content of the book itself, if you've tried reading it yourself you will know what I mean. Certainly, judging by what I have managed to read, the average fan of the Prisoner will learn nothing from this book. I haven't purchased the pair of Prisoner script books either, far too expensive, I mean what kind of idiot would actually sit there and read through 17 scripts of the Prisoner? Oh I know there is other stuff in the pair of books to read, but not enough to my idea to warrant paying silly money for them. I'm waiting for the Prisoner script books to appear in a bargain bookshop, something which they are not likely to do after all this time.
   I used to also collect all and everything connected with the Prisoner, you know the kind of thing, press cutting and magazine articles on the Prisoner, Portmeirion, or Six of One Prisoner conventions held at Portmeirion. Not so much these days, well there are not the articles about so frequently these days. Mind you there were the rash of Press Releases about the production of the new series of the Prisoner, I did collect all of those. But you know how it gets, you collect everything you can so in the end doing it becomes its own reason, and hardly anything to do with the Prisoner or Portmeirion at all! And besides which you can't keep everything can you? Having recently moved house, I decided to have a clear-out and got rid of a lot of unwanted and unimportant stuff. Well I'd amassed a good many files containing letters fellow fans and friends had written to me over the past couple of decades, some of who do still keep in touch today. So I decided to keep one letter from each friend or correspondent, and to shred all the others. Blimey, it took me ages to do all that, but didn't hurt at all. In fact I felt much better for it!
  But there are certain things I shall never be rid of, nor would I want to be, memories. Memories of Prisoner re-enactments which I have appeared in, or have organised. Of the production of the art house film Village Day, and the book I wrote and saw published back in 2003 The Prisoner Variations, all of which I am very proud to have been associated with in the past.
   Now I have to get my other work published, and continue to come up with Prisoner Blog Articles here on Blogspot. And this makes me proud to do each day. Mind you, I am quite amazed at times on the amount of Prisoner based Blog I keep coming up with, and with such variety on the subject of the Prisoner. Makes me wonder if there will be a natural end to it at some point, or whether it will come full circle just like the Prisoner himself!

I'll be seeing you

No comments:

Post a Comment